Re: Filling the @#%$& Gearbox...

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Filling the @#%$& Gearbox...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 16:04:47 -0400
Dan DiBiase wrote:

> Heard a bit of gear noise from the 76B on-OD
> transmission earlier this, just had a chance to crawl
> underneath and check the level. Even allowing for the
> fact that the car was jacked towards the driver's
> side, I could not feel anything when I stuck my finger
> in the hole... So, obviously, a bit of fluid is called
> for. Except, what's the secret to getting it in
> there?? Given the narrow space and the fact that I
> can't be ABOVE the filler hole - how the heck do you
> do this?? Is there a pump or something? Nothing in
> Haynes and didn't see anything in the Moss catalog
> along those lines.... TIA...

  Buy a couple of bottles of oil (more than you need) and
use a thin clear hose up into the hole. You can buy these
hoses, they are called transmission filler hoses or something
and they screw onto oil bottles.

  Squeeze the bottle and the oil goes up the
tube and in.

  You need extra oil for two reasons, one because you are
likely to spill a lot, and two because you can only
do this with the top half or so of the bottle, then you
can't squeeze any more out. So you fill the bottle again
from another bottle, and repeat until it's done.

  Also available are tranny filling tubes that are a funnel
with a LONG hose, you can leave the funnel in the engine bay
and feed the hose down, find it under the car and stuff it
in the hole.

  Then you have an assistant slowly pour oil into the funnel
as you watch underneath and scream "STOP STOP ENOUGH ENOUGH
ENOUGH" and ruin your driveway. They work, but a lot of oil
fits into the hose and makes a mess when you see the tranny
is full and you frantically try to stab the pouring hose
into a jar or something.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca