Re: Filling the @#%$& Gearbox...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Filling the @#%$& Gearbox...
From: Hlsinger@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 17:57:06 EDT
>>I got a neato gear oil pump at pep boys or some such place for around four
>>dollars.  Works great!

My Midget has a rubber covered filler hole in the body.  See Moss Midget
catalog pages.  You could probably make a small hole to fit a rubber plug you
had or ordered.  It really is not too hard to fill from the top or below
without the hole. In 4x4 transmissions and transfer cases, I have used a gas
siphon hand pump from Pep boys at about $4.  Looks like two clear plastic
hoses connected by a squeeze bulb primer hand pump like on two stroke
outboard motors with remote fuel tanks.  In my store it is sold near the bulk
hose display.  Slow but relatively clean and practical without a helper.
Light, small, and easy to carry with you on extended trips if you need
to(remember---4x4s). Can be used for other things.

Before the pump, I kept an empty bottle with a long length of hose around.
Put as much fluid as you think you need in the bottle and fill from the top.
Leave a clean drain pan under the filler hole.  Repeat until you have a
little fluid in the drain pan.

The gear oil pumps at my pep boys only fit one type of bottle thread that I
did not happen to have.

Alex H.
71 Midget