Head-Job

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Head-Job
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 15:06:04 -0600
My '67 MGB was losing coolant somewhere, and not detectable where, so I
assumed it was the head gasket.  Anyhow I got the head off, and the
gasket is not the problem.  I have a bad valve that will need to be
replaced, and of course I will get the head checked for cracks.  Anyhow
if it is cracked, I will plan on replacing it, and wanted to get a read
on the experience people have had with the Aluminum heads.

First, I know someone had problems with the spark plug holes on the
aluminum stock head reproduction.  I wondered how that got worked out.
Also, if the aluminum (stock reproduction) has a port for the heater
valve - I live in a cold climate.

Second - has anyone got experience with the MSX cross flow heads.  If I
were to go this route, I would want to use my stock SU's, and pictures
make it look as though the stock air cleaners may not fit.  I assume I'd
need different needles, and I'd probably get the exhaust analyzer to
spec that (as a recent post and attachments discussed).  I also do not
see a location for the heater valve on the cross flow head.  Lastly, I
don't know what compression ratio that head actually creates, and if I'd
need to change my cam.

So - anyone have wisdom on this one??

Thanks in advance -
Phil Bates
various cars - all foreign, mostly british, and none newer than 1975