Re: Head-Job

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head-Job
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:27:01 -0400
That's why I love this list, I dont even have to ask, people ask my
questions for me!

I'm in about the same boat with my 1973. I havent yanked the head yet to
know whether it's gasket, but based on my luck I'm going on the belief that
what's broken is the most expensive.

I too am interested in the Crossflow head, although my B has been converted
to a single DGV. I've also thought about going dual DCOE.

What I wonder about though, is that this car will be a daily driver that I
want to add zip to, and maybe I'll race it next year or the year after. I've
got some cash now, and cant guarantee if I will next year. What I dont want
is to get 11:1 compression if I cant run regular gasoline. I have no problem
buying 92/93 octane "premium", but if I have to add octane boost to every
tank, That's not where I want to go.

I understand the whole "Free Breathing" concept, and had planned to add a
free flow exhaust and header (VB has several, and I'm waiting for my Moss
catalog to arrive).

What's the balance between daily driver fuel and zip added by crossflow
heads, dual DCOE's, free breathing K&N filters, high flow exhaust, valves,
roller rockers, ignition, sacrificing a live chicken over the engine, etc?

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |