Re: Head-Job

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head-Job
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:35:52 EDT
In a message dated 25/09/00 12:45:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> What's the balance between daily driver fuel and zip added by crossflow
>  heads, dual DCOE's, free breathing K&N filters, high flow exhaust, valves,
>  roller rockers, ignition, sacrificing a live chicken over the engine, etc?

IMHO, for whatever that is worth, I wouldn't use more than about 10:1 on the
street (you then need about 94 octane), and I would not use Webers.
A nice pair of 1 3/4" SUs would give good flexibility and economy.

Free flow exhaust by all means, and K&N filters, though you won't get much
more power if it were on an MGA - the gravel strainers they had were very low
restriction!

Forget the valves, and the fancy 3 angle valve grinds - by the time you get
around to racing it, you'd have to redo it anyway.

Similarly, the roller rockers are obscenely expensive, for very little real
improvement. More an 'icing on the cake' sort of mod for you guys with
pushrods. I don't bother to run them on my only pushrod racer (TVR), as a
brand new set of special rockers I put in many years ago are probably just
about broken in now.....

Forget the silly dual point distributors and just get a NOS Lucas unit, or
have yours rebushed. A different ignition like the MSD or Pertronics Ignitor
are nice (I use both), but unnecessary - you won't be spending much time up
at redline anyway on the street. Use the money to get some decent flow work
done on the head.

And I think the chicken is definitely optional!

Bill S.