New to MGB's, looking at purchasing one.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New to MGB's, looking at purchasing one.
From: "Plant, Keith GS-12 (NSAGAETA 60)" <PlantK@nsa.naples.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 11:09:55 +0200
First and foremost, let me thank all of you listers.  I have been browsing
this list silently for the past year or so collecting some great
information.  Although I am currently not an MG owner, I have been searching
for one almost as long as I've been on this list.  I am an American
currently working in Italy and I have finally narrowed down my search to 2-3
MGB Roadsters in the London, England area (yes, I want to go as Vintage as
possible :)).  The 3 cars I have it narrowed down to are as follows, all are
MGB Roadsters, the descriptions are from the phone calls and e-mails I have
sent back and forth between myself and the owners:
1969 1 owner last 10 years, many many records, very sound.  Owner also owns
a few other classic cars, this is my number one choice so far.  Body is in
very good shape (minor blemishes, no rust).

1973 Not too many records, engine is brand new, body is in OK condition
(minor rust, some blemishes/dings).  Second choice.

1974 No records, "Runs very well" body is in OK condition (minor rust, some
blemishes/dings).  Final choice.

My main concern is the engine of the automobile.  I will be driving this car
back from the UK to my home in Southern Italy.  The body I would like in at
least OK conditions.  The body is always something that I can work on and
improve as long as there is no major structural damage.

Finally, getting to my question:  What should I be looking for when I travel
to the UK next weekend to view these cars?  Where should I be checking for
that obscure rust?  What's a common or easy fix problem that I may notice
right off and what major problems can I detect with the good old look over?
Any and all information from this list will be brought with me in my
notebook and will become part of my inspection technique.  Thank you in
advance for your time and help.

If you can, please reply directly to my e-mail and the list, it will be
easier for me to keep track of replies.  Thanks again.

Keith Plant

<hoping to put at least one car here>