Re: New to MGB's, looking at purchasing one.

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: New to MGB's, looking at purchasing one.
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:38:17 -0600 (MDT)
For me anyway, engines are much easier to fix than rust.  If the body
is in good shape, tools and some time will take care of the rest of it.
 Repairing rusted out castles and sills will cost quite a bit of money
if you cannot do it yourself.  What one owner considers "minor rust"
for his/her beloved car can really turn out to be pretty major.

If you are going to be driving from the UK to Italy, I would check out
the three rubber brake lines before leaving.  Also check all of the
fuel hoses/rubber hoses and get a fire extinguisher just in case.  (I
have never needed one, but it is a good idea to have one as you don't
know the car yet, and once you do get to know it, then you will want to
keep it safe.)  Also, take a laptop so you can mail us if you need to
and tools!  :)

Watch for a cracked cylinder head.  If the UK cars don't use the air
rails (I don't know if they do or not.) then the risk of this should be
less.  The crack can show as water/slimey cylinder head by and below
the #2 or #3 sparkplug.  If the body was truely rust free, then this
would not be a deal stopper for me, but you should be aware of it.  It
may cost $500-1000 to fix depending on what you end up doing.  For me a
rusted out dogleg/sill would be a deal breaker, but that is because I
don't know body work, and don't have the tools.

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net