Re: midget 79

To: Mark Hardin <markha1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: midget 79
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 13:26:16 -0400
Mark Hardin wrote:
> The fuel pump was replaced because every replacement mech. pump either
> grinded loudly or the pump arm broke off and fell in the pan.
> The ign was replaced because no replacement breaker points would fit on the
> breaker plate properly.
> and the carb because the straumberg leaked BADLY and would vapor lock
> frequently.

  It sounds like it's running lean, but I think you need to
start at the beginning and check and set every aspect of the
tuning. (valves, ignition, fuel level, mixture)...

  What scares me about the above is that there is a lot
of evidence of "DPO", which would be a previous owner that
really didn't understand the car.

  All of the things that have been replaced because of failures
in the original are things that would have been easily fixed. Points
are cheap and easily available, strombergs are simple and rebuild
kits are easily available and simple to install, and so on.

  I guess what I am getting at is that if somebody would
trade the ignition rather than find points, and swap carbs rather
than fix simple problems, I don't expect any of the work done
on that car would be reliable enough to not redo.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca