Re: Power Curve of B-Series Engine

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Power Curve of B-Series Engine
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:07:41 -0700
Things are pretty quiet, so its time to turn up the heat.

Is everyone being polite, and none contradictory?  Am I flogging a dead horse,
and you're waiting for this thread to die out.  Sorry, I haven't given up yet.

Did you look at the power curve yet at http://www.cdsorkin.com/spridgetintro.htm
or http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/carbs.htm#power ?

Do you know what those graphs represent and how the data was gathered?  The
answer is there and I will admit that it didn't register with me right away
either.

Now, here's the teacher coming into play.  Write down what you think is going
on.  Put it on a post-it-note and stick it on edge of the computer screen.
Nobody's
going to know but you.  Don't hide in the back row or slump down into the desk.
Make a commitment.

Many of you own modern FI cars with automatics equipped with OD.  These cars
have a fuel management system, and the system gathers data from: outside air
temp, engine operating temp, air flow, throttle position, transmission gear,
drive shaft speed, exhaust oxygen, crank position, ignition advance, barometric
pressure, etc.  The "black box" then analyzes this data, compares it to settings
needed to control emissions and fuel the necessary, and sets the fuel injection
amount and time, ignition advance, etc.

One day you load up your FI equipped vehicle, hook on your favorite toy behind
it and motor down a nice straight and level stretch of interstate highway.
You've got your automatic transmissioned vehicle with OD so loaded up that
you've got the throttle practically to the floor to keep it going at your
cruising speed.  Under what conditions will the the automatic transmission shift
out of OD?

Blake