Re: Local MG Car club dues

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Local MG Car club dues
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:31:20 -0500
At 11:46 AM 10/13/2000 -0600, Larry Hoy wrote:
>.... I'm interested in what you pay annually in dues to be a member of
your local MG Car Club. ....
>If you could, would you supply:
>
>Area/city

Chicago, Illinois

>Marque

All MG

>Annual dues

$20 (recently up from $18)

>Do new members get a "free" name badge?

No.  Name badges are $5 to cover cost, about half of which is engraving.
But it is, generally speaking, a moderate one time cost, so it could be a
reasonable thing to be included like a signing bonus with the initial
membership fee.

>Are the first year dues the same as subsequent years?

Yes, except a partial year rate may be offered late in the year, so
everyone's dues will fall due at the same time of year for ease of record
keeping.

>I'll also take any extra information you wish to include.

As the cost of publishing the monthly newsletter is a REALLY major expense
paid out of the club treasury, the annual dues are intended primarily to
cover the costs of publishing the newsletter.  If there is occasionally a
little cash left over from that exchange, it may be used for a slight
subsidy for some other club activities, but not intended as a regular
proceedure.  The major concern here is that if the dues don't cover the
cost of the newsletter, your treasury is likely to suffer VERY SOON,
because the publishing is a regular periodic expense that just doesn't quit
on demand.

And I know you weren't soliciting philosophy, but IMHO, if the other
activities of the club are not entirely financially self supporting, then
you should find some other source of "fund raising", but not milk the
membership fees.

$.02,

Barney Gaylord - editor & webmaster
Chicagoland MG Club