Re: Local MG Car club dues

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Local MG Car club dues
From: Steve Morris <smorris@en.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:33:18 -0400
On 10/13/00 1:46 PM, Larry Hoy  <larryhoy@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Area/city

Lorain County, Ohio 25 miles west of Cleveland

>Marque

Lorain County British Car Club (LoCo Brits) - All British marques

>Annual dues

US$25 family membership - two votes max/family
Used to be $15 individual, nut wives started coming and the family
membership was adopted. Some single or those with uninterested spouses
are still miffed about the change.

>Do new members get a "free" name badge?

No, but a free window sticker and 12 newsletters. All regalia is sold at
cost.

>Are the first year dues the same as subsequent years?

Yes

>I'll also take any extra information you wish to include.

Barney had some good points about the expense of a newsletter. I
edit/publish a newsletter for a Macintosh Users' Group, and the expense
exceeded our income. Then we started distributing via email using a PDF
file, and all but about 10% of membership elected to receive the
electronic version. I don't know if this would translate to a car club,
because the percentage of computer savvy members might be substantially
less.

There is also a 33/33/33 raffle each meeting. Tickets are 3 for $2 and a
winner is drawn from the hat for 1/3 of the months take. Then the winner
draws a card from a deck, and if it is the 2 of clubs, they take the
accumulated middle 1/3 of the take (currently at something over $450.)
The card does not go back in the deck, so the next person has even better
odds. The final 1/3 goes in the club's treasury.

There are occasional raffles for various items; sometimes a car part,
sometimes fresh baked cookies a member brought, last month was home
brewed beer, and once a hat pin from the NAMGAR GT from the first
international NAMGAR chapter, the Norse MG Klubb.

Finally, another peculiar method of financing the club is through
"fines." Just a quarter for silly things like "Who won a trophy at
MG2000?", or "Who drove their British car this nice 75 degree day with
the top UP?". Mosty, it is good humored fun, and somewhat embarrassing
items to make the club aware of members misfortunes, such as "Has anyone
recently had their TR8 stall in a toll booth on the way to The Roadster
Factory, and needed a tow?"

All these combine to finance food and beverages for a Christmas party,
clam bake, summer rally and party, and food and prizes for the fall tour
and other events.

So I guess if I include membership, the raffle every meeting, and a fine
every couple meetings, my membership ends up around $50...but then I just
might win that big pot, and I don't notice the cost spread over the year
(nor does Deb!)

HTH,
Steve

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio