Re: modern CD/radio in a Spridget?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: modern CD/radio in a Spridget?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:13:45 EDT
In a message dated 16/10/00 8:38:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> Any ideas on where/how to install a modern day CD/radio player (not the
>  type with the remote CD box in the trunk) in a Spridget? I have the
>  standard radio console and monophonic speaker but it won't take a modern
>  player because it's not deep enough. All the radios I see are at least
>  18cm deep because of the CD/cassette mechanism. Speakers too, where can
>  I place them, except for the boot divider?

I tend not to have anything special in the way of stereo in my LBCs
(notwithstanding the fact that one of my other hobbies is high end audio),
because it is hard to get good sound, good decks attract thieves, and where
the heck do you put the speakers. And my MGC is too loud to hear one anyway!

Having said that, assuming that you can find a place to mount under-dash
speakers, or can accept the small surface mount tweeter/mids that you can buy
now, with a bass unit under the dash, you still have the quandary of where to
put the CD player.

There is nothing wrong with the mounting a remote changer in the trunk,
controlled by the head unit. I use this in my Jensen (a Jensen radio, as it
happens, not because of any quality consideration, but because it just seemed
suitable).  You can also buy regular radio/cassette players that have a front
plate input for a mini portable CD player, which can sit on a pad between the
seats.

Or you can settle for the music of the rapping exhaust, the tintinnabulation
of the valve train, the whisper of the passing wind........

Bill