Re: where is the timing mark?!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: where is the timing mark?!
From: Evangelos Makris <xirias@hol.gr>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 22:44:11 +0300
Thanks people for your helpful ideas.
When the strobe pin is on cylinder #3 the mark appears to be 10-15
degrees AFTER
TDC, that is, further clockwise from the 0-degree notch.

So, how do I start checking if something is indeed 180 degrees out and
correcting it?

Is there a picture somewhere on the web that shows *approximately* where
the
vacuum advance unit points when it's timed OK and to which of the four
holes on
the distributor cap the #1 sparkplug lead goes?

What is a gulp valve and where should I look for it? I have two HIF4
carbs and a
small almost cube-shaped Facet electric petrol pump. When the engine is
off but
the ignition is on, that pump won't stop ticking after a while, like the

standard SU electric pump does on my 66 Sprite after the carbs fill up.

Evangelos, 73 BGT