Re: Where have all the used cars gone?

To: mvheim@studiolimage.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Where have all the used cars gone?
From: Tomsaudi@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 01:49:16 EDT
OK, here is my $.02, and this is coming from one of the "youngsters" who
wanted to get into the hobby...

For the person who started this post, a gentleman from San Francisco, had a
friend who wanted to spend $5-$7,000 for an LBC. I live in southern
Connecticut, and I had about $4,000 to spend on an LBC. Going out to shop, I
envisioned a nice '73 (my favorite year) MGB.

At least where I live, no such car existed. I was amazed at how many rough RB
MGB's with rusty sills were out there with an asking price of $5,000. Now
friends, those of you in the hobby know this is truly ridiculous, and I could
never live with myself for buying those cars.

I did find my MG, on a whim. A B I wanted had been sold right out from under
me. Not wanting to waste a day, I went to look at a Midget (I had not
previously given a lot of thought to this car). Well, guess what, I bought
myself a near-mint 78 Midget for $3,000.

The lesson here is that there are good buys out there. It just took a lot of
time to get past the bad eggs with owners with over-inflated egos about their
cars. I scoured the web, the papers, the club newsletter, and I found my LBC
at a little used car dealer that sold mostly Camry's and Grand Am's.

For me, the Midget is an excellent car to introduce oneself to MG's. Not as
recognizable or as sought after as a B, so the prices are not as high, but it
is a real kick to drive. Sure, eventually I may want an MGB GT, or even an
MGA coupe to compliment my Midget, but for now, I am having a lot of fun.
Tell your friend to keep looking!
Tom
78 Midget-fun
89 Range Rover-daily driver (AHH)