Re: adding an ammeter to a RBB

To: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: adding an ammeter to a RBB
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:01:04 -0400
Now hold on just a second guys. I thought you had to wire an ammeter in
series. If you "split the large brown wire coming from the starter to the
alternator", doesn't that make a parallel circuit?

I have an ammeter in the Midget but I have never hooked it up. I I am a
wee bit apprehensive about having all the voltage go thourgh that gauge.
I know lots of folks have them, but i am not sure how they are wired. The
whole thing just seems a little suspect. You can get much the same info
from a volt meter, that can be run, with a smaller gauge wire, in
parallel.

Ya know, Lord Lucas never put an ammeter in. (well not that I know of
anyway)

Larry

>Bill,
>
>I mounted my ammeter below the radio on my 72 which has the same dash as
>your 76, I believe.  I enlarged the right most blank switch knockout (rear
>window heater switch) for my mount, leaving the blank next to it for future
>possibilities. I split the large brown wire coming from the starter to the
>alternator for feed to my ammeter.  I think I used 4 gauge wire to carry the
>current.  It's been there for 28 years with no problems.
>
>Dave 72 B

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.