Re: adding an ammeter to a RBB

To: Gonaj@aol.com
Subject: Re: adding an ammeter to a RBB
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:20:35 -0600
One should listen - no doubt about it - and this can help diagnose a lot of
things.  Electrical systems, however, aren't always prone to make noises when
they fail..  The gauges as a diagnostic aid is helpful.

I installed an ammeter and a voltmeter in my '67 MGB about 6 years ago (where
the
speaker used to be).  One time, after having someone replace my generator due to
bad bearings, I was driving from Indianapolis to Lancaster, PA, and in Columbus,
OH,  I noticed the ammeter pegged at discharge, and the voltmeter dropping.  I
stopped to buy a new generator, but no luck.  So I went on further (it was
daytime, and I figured I could drive for a while as long as I don't use the
lights) and noticed the ammeter pegged at full charge, and the voltmeter at 15+
volts - so I turned on everything I could find, and kept it down to 14.5volts
for
a while - long and short, there was a regulator problem.  Then it went the other
way again - to discharge.  I was lucky enough to get home with the battery not
being charged for 2 or 3 hours, but had I not caught the overcharging, I would
have probably blown up a battery.  Gauges in our old cars can be useful, and the
idiot light would not show the overcharge situation.  Neither would listening to
the car's running noises, but a battery explosion right behind the passenger
seat
sure would be notable I think.  I'm glad I didn't have to experience such a
thing, and consider that the voltmeter and ammeter have been good for my car,
and
good for my physical well being too.

Phil Bates