Re: where is the timing mark?!

To: "Evangelos Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: where is the timing mark?!
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:10:19 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Evangelos Makris <xirias@hol.gr>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 10:04 PM

> c. The timing marks on the cover are "above" the pulley, between 10 and 11
> o'clock when facing the pulley from the front of the car, there are 5
teeth,
> counterclockwise from 0 to -20 degrees.
> d. I managed to find TDC by removing all plugs, engaging 4th gear and
pushing
> the car forward. When piston #1 came to the top of its travel (visible
through
> the #1 plug aperture) the rotor arm indeed pointed at the #1 HT wire. At
this
> precise location the notch on the pulley points almost downwards, at 7
o'clock
> so I got my correction fluid out and drew a small mark on the pulley, just
below
> the 0 (TDC) mark.
>
> I'm borrowing a timing light tomorrow to complete the business.
>
> Questions:
> a. Did I do everything OK, so far?

Yes.  You appear to have either a wrong pulley or cover.  If the engine is
indeed an 73 18V it is the wrong pulley.  Just found the diagram I was
looking for last night - TDC for engine with the lower markings is
vertically below the centre-line of the crank, TDC for the engine with the
upper markings is 27 degress before a point vertically above the centre-line
of the crank.  Therefore 10 degrees BTDC on the lower marks will show up as
17 degrees *after* TDC on the upper marks.

> b. Can timing cure running on? My idle speed is down to 850 rpm (used to
be
> about 1000) and the car has no emissions equipment at all, no gulp valve
and no
> springs/holes on the HIF butterfly discs. The only breathing I see is the
carbs
> sucking on the front chest cover.

Bad timing can cause it, but 850 is quite high for todays fuels and the
later engines, you may find correct timing makes no difference which is why
the factory had to start fitting anti-run-on valves.

> c. Can I use the same method on my Sprite that has no timing marks on the
timing
> cover at all, only this time mark the cover (not the pulley) where the
notch
> stops at TDC and roughly time it?

Yes. Use a protractor (I still have my school protractor - indeed complete
pencil case - some 40 years after I was given it to start Secondary school)
and mark 5, 10, 15 and 20 as well as TDC.