Re: where is the timing mark?!

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: where is the timing mark?!
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 20:13:38 +0100
Whilst the distributor drive gear *can* be installed incorrectly the
distributor has to be twisted from its correct position to compensate in
order for the engine to run.  If the engine is running then No.1 cylinder
*must* be getting its spark at about the correct time i.e. TDC for that
cylinder and No.3 must be getting its spark half a crankshaft revolution
after that.  Therefore if the timing light shows the TDC marks lining up (or
near enough) on No.3 cylinder and not No.1, then the marks are out not the
distributor.  Either the pulley is incorrect or bad, or the timing cover
marks are incorrect, or a combination of two or three.  My car has the
pointers by the alt, and the earlier cars had them below the pulley, but as
far as I can see from pictures the two sets of marks are *not* 180 degrees
apart.  I'm trying to imagine here but it seems to me that if you *should*
have a cover with the marks on the bottom, and the timing *is* occuring
BTDC, then 180 degrees out from that could well be *after* TDC as measured
on the top marks i.e. you have the wrong cover.

The first thing to do is locate TDC.  You can do this with a measuring rod
in No.1 cylinder plug hole.  Turn the crank until the piston is near the top
of its stroke - say on the up stroke.  Make a mark on the rod at a datum
point on the block and a mark on the pulley.  Now rotate the crank so that
the piston is at the same position on its down stroke as measured with the
rod using the datum point you marked before, and make another mark on the
pulley.  Between those two points is TDC.  Now you can check your timing.
Then you can worry about why your marks are out.

PaulH.