Re: followup on previous message

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: followup on previous message
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 22:07:16 -0700
Bill:

There's a saying that "If anything can happen, it eventually will."
However, I've never heard of or experienced such a thing and I've boosted allot
of cars.  Slipping belts can cause a high pitched squeal, but I wouldn't
describe it as a whine.  If the battery was run absolutely flat, then the
alternator will try to put out it's maximum current to recharge it.  The
alternation then is putting a greater load on the engine and the belt driving
it. And that could cause belt slippage. I don't know the ampere output of the 76
B alternator, but if it were a 40 amp model and the battery was 400 amp battery
it would take ten hours to recharge it.  So, if after that many hours of
driving, or recharging the battery with a charger,  the "squeal" doesn't go away
you might have some other problem such as bad alternator bearings.

Old, or glazed belts will slip even when the tension is correct. My riding
lawnmower does it every time I engage the blade because of the dust. You can
replace the belt, or purchase a can of spray on belt dressing.

Blake