Re: MOSS, SU Carbs and frustration

To: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>, MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MOSS, SU Carbs and frustration
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:13:51 -0700
Frank,

I've never heard of AUD 273 carbs, unless it is a new repro. number
Burlen (see below) uses to describe their model.  Can you describe
the differences between your old carbs and the ones Moss sent?  You
might be hearing from Kelvin Dodd, the Moss guy who belongs to this
list, about this, but here's my take:

At the risk of putting on the Nomex undies, I'd have to disagree with
Charley Robinson about  rebuilt carbs being better than new /
reproduction units.  I have had several carbs rebuilt/throttle shaft
rebushing, and none of them have been as good as the two new sets
I've bought.  It's hard to get precision with a piloted hand reamer.
The two fixes are 1) drilling and replacing the (oval, oversize)
throttle shaft bearing with a new brass one, or 2) simply
drilling/reaming for a larger shaft.  Not much meat on the carb body
to do this, and if the hole is too oval, the latter fix won't solve
the problem.  Wear on the suction chamber walls (wear, grit
scratches, etc.) cannot be fixed by a rebuild.  My old carbs seemed
to have differing profiles, right and left, of the choke cams as
well, fixed with new carbs.  Your results may vary, depending how
worn your old carbs are and who is doing the work.  I once sunk $120
into refurbishing a pair of bodies that were too far gone once (plus
the jet rebuild kit), and ended up throwing them away.  A reputable
LBC mechanic who didn't check on the condition of the parts before
doing the work...

The reproduction of SUs by Burlen Fuel Systems
(http://www.Burlen.co.uk/ ) are a slight simplification of the
original full series of SUs originally offered.  I have bought carbs
for '63-'67 engines, and it is clear that they are not
concours-accurate, but rather a hybrid that probably saves them from
making expensive, unnecessary variations.  Mine are adaptations of
the '68-'69 carb, with plugged crankcase vent inlets on the throttle
bodies and  spring needles rather than the original fixed ones.  The
needle profiles are correct, however, for the application.  The jet
links are a little different, and not interchangeable. They work
great!

--
Chris Attias
Aptos, CA