Re: UK Imported part / buyer B-ware

To: David Deutsch <mgman@optonline.net>, David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Subject: Re: UK Imported part / buyer B-ware
From: James Nazarian <James_Nazarian@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 13:01:49 -0700 (PDT)
HI guys, I bought a car's worth of spax conversion from him and he shipped
it to me (not on an airplane) and I didn't get charged a dime for import
tarifs etc.  I have found that airlines love to screw you whenever you try
to put anything on a plane that is not a suitcase so if he hadn't done the
airline thing before he probably didn't know.  He is a good guy so I think
if he knew he would have said something.  Just my $.015

James Nazarian
(this is a very temporary email account 'cause I am stuck using WinNT this
week...I miss UNIX)

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:17:48 -0400, David Deutsch wrote:

>  David Littlefield wrote:
>
>  > Sorry, David, but I don't think you can blame the shipper.  In
>  > international shipments it is assumed that the purchaser knows and will
>  > take care of import duties in their respective country.  I think you'll
>  > find that our customs tariffs are so complex that it is impossible for
>  > anyone, much less an exporter in another country, to figure them out.
>
>  The only thing that I blame the seller for, is not telling me to expect
these
>  additional charges. I had asked what was involved in getting the unit to
me.
>  If I needed to contact anyone or would I be contacted? I just feel that
info
>  was with held. Of course, had I known about the charges I would not have
>  bought the unit. I'm just relaying this experence as a "learn from my
>  mistake" precaution. Wish I had heard about this stuff from others.
>  Safety Fast,
>  David

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html