Re: Bad temp senders

To: "E.Claure" <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
Subject: Re: Bad temp senders
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 18:31:40 -0600
Hi Enrique,

  Are the new senders direct replacements for the original?  I ask
because they are essentially variable resistors whose resistance
decreases as the temp increases.  If the new senders don't have the same
resistance as the original, you're in trouble.  If the risistance is
slightly off, the guage won't read right.  If the resistance is way
high, the guage won't read at all.

  Now, presuming that the new senders are the right resistance, then
they may not be making good contact in the threads.  Y'see, you have a
voltage feeding the guage, the guage feeds the voltage to the sender and
the sender provides the ground, through its resistance and the threads
into the head.  So as the engine warms up the guage resistance drops and
more current flows thru the circuit, making the guage read higher.  Ya
didn't put gasket goo or tape on the threads, didja? ;^)

 Ya measure the resistance of the sender from the wire terminal to
ground, in order to test it.  If noone else comes up with it, I'll go
measure it for ya.

  Cheers,

  CR