Re: Anybody use 175R14?

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anybody use 175R14?
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:55:16 -0800 (PST)
> I personally can not see the point in original width
> tyres on MGs,
> particularly when the wider tyres work so much
> better. I run 185/65 r 14s on
> my car, as do most people in Adelaide (Firestones
> actually and they work
> very well here). They are readily available, fit
> well and perform very well
> (road car - not racing car). Some people squeeze
> 195s onto their rims, but
> these can lead to clearance troubles. The 185s are
> perfect. They look right,
> not bulgy or big, just 'right', and have a much
> larger footprint than the
> 165. <SNIP>

I am running 195/70's and they are a very tight fit.
I'm sure you could introduce the rubber to the
sheetmetal if you hit a bump just right on a corner.
There's just about 1/2" or less between the stock,
mangled spoiler and the front tire. Sure makes a
difference on the corners though! It took me three or
four sharp curves before I got up the guts to hit it
hard enough to break her loose. I take the 15 MPH on
ramp at 45 MPH; I was hitting it at 30 MPH. Drifts
nicely. I don't think I could go for a bigger tire
without lifting it, and I'd have to quit trimming my
beard and change my name to Buba. Might as well
convert it to 4WD and move to a trailer park...

jon

=====
77 MGB "Christine" slowly, with black cow catchers

58 Willys CJ-3B, the Killer-B

C'mon Al, quit grovelling, if they're too stupid to punch a hole in a card,
they probably shouldn't be deciding who should be the leader.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/