RE: wheel bearings

To: "'Stuart MacMillan'" <macmillan@home.com>
Subject: RE: wheel bearings
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:29:39 -0800
> Also, British metallurgy of the '50s and '60s was not all that great,
> and that was reflected in the quality of their bearings as well.  This
> is apparently why the mechanic said to replace the factory bearings.

Stuart:

        I'm not sure if this is the controversy that you intended.

        Would you care to qualify that last statement?  My father was a
research Metallurgist in the UK until he moved to the US in 1972.  He is
still working (semi-retired) teaching U.S. manufacturers techniques that
were common practice in UK industry in the 50s and 60s.
        British and European metallurgical research, was driven by shortages
of raw materials.  During the times when the US was able to squander
resources in a bigger is better market.  Europe was learning how to get the
most from every material resource.  Gray and White Iron casting techniques
and hardening reached a zenith during the 60s.  Techniques that are now
being used to increase longevity and abrasion resistance of "modern" thin
wall castings.

regards

Kelvin.