Re: MGA/ZB Magnette master cylinder doesn't hold a rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA/ZB Magnette master cylinder doesn't hold a rebuild
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:08:00 -0500
  Well, I think I solved the problem. I took it apart
and cleaned it really well and spent a good 10 minutes
with my finger down the bore. (make your own joke here)

  After swearing for the entire time it was fine, I
eventually found a rough spot that is likely the
problem and right in the worst place.

  And sure enough, once I know where to check it
feels bloody obvious.

  I guess I should have noticed this on the first
rebuild, but at the time I thought I was rebuilding
a 20 year old cylinder so new rubber was all I
expected to need so I just gave a quick glance and
a feel and pronounced it fine. I didn't find out until
later that the rubber was new.

  I have one avenue before I have to shell out for
a resleeve. I have a spare master from my 58 parts
car that wasn't driven since 1967. The inside was
full of jellied brake fluid and dissolved rubber, it's
soaking right now and I'll see how it cleans up. Perhaps
all the goo protected it from rust, the system seemed
to remain airtight right to the end.

  I have a hone to, we'll see how that works out.

  Failing that, what's a cheap place to get
a pair of sleeves put in?

  White Post wants $225usd for a complete rebuild,
both cylinders. (ouch!)

  I really only need two sleeves installed, I have
a fresh rebuild kit, and I don't need to pay for
the exterior shotblasting and that sort of stuff that
they also offer. They advertise that you get the
cylinder back ready to bolt up, I don't mind
just getting back the case ready to reassemble.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca