Re: Alarming Gearbox noise

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: Alarming Gearbox noise
From: "Rick Ehlert" <ricke@idcnet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:02:46 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
To: Rick Ehlert <ricke@idcnet.com>
Cc: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2000 10:15 PM

Barney,
Thanks for helping with my problem!  Let me pick your brain on a couple of
details:

-The gearbox was recently rebuilt (before I bought it)
-The shift knob has always seemed to have excessive play (very sloppy
shifter) but I just thought since it always positively engaged gears and
never popped out of gear, it wasn't a problem (now I'm not so sure!!)

Is there a bushing that the shifter sits in just inside of the top of the
gearbox?  And can I get at it from the shift-tunnel hole?  I'm starting to
think that might be my problem.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick Ehlert
'66 MGB 3 syncro w/ O/D