Re: Highway Travel

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Highway Travel
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 09:40:41 +0000
Tony wrote:

> I am whining 3400-3500 rpms

Tony,

It is purely a matter of perception on your part.  What you have to do
is push the revs up much higher for a while and then you will feel
comfortable at this 'low' rev range.

I drove my old '68 B with no overdrive at a comfortable 70mph for hours
driving halfway across Australia a year or so ago (yes, a few problems
raised their head further down the road on this trip but I later found
they were unrelated to how I was driving at the time).  I still could
push her higher to pass slower traffic safely.

After that trip and driving her to redline on the track I find 3.5 - 4k
a comfortable rev range on the highway.  It is all perception.

Oh yeah.... and I do all this with no roof so the wind drowns out engine
noise and body rattles :-)

If the engine is reasonably solid it will just keep going and going (I
have been amazed at what these little engines will put up with - and it
is a lot more than what you are contemplating).  If there is some major
weakness then you may find it.... but you would find it sooner or later
anyway.

Eric
'68MGB MkII