Dipsticks

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dipsticks
From: "Larry Cogan" <woodrat@spacey.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:47:34 -0500
New guy here, both cyberelly and mechanically challanged.  Hope I get
the procedure correctly and don't forward the entire volume as an
attachment.

I have a 59 MGA with the original 1500 engine.  The engine oil
dipstick
has a 45 degree bend in the handle.  The DPO has a blob of what
appears to masking tape to set the amount of "travel" of the stick
into the sump.  In looking at the Vicky Britt and Moss catalogs I see
two diff dipstick versions.  A straight stick for earlier cars and a
stick with two 45 degree bends for later cars.  The drawing of the
dipstick in my repro owner's manual shows a straight stick.  I also
note that the catalogs show the straight stick without any "stop lug"
to set the depth of the stick into the sump.  Not so concerned about
originality as much as having a properly calibrated dipstick.
Questions:
What is the proper stick for the early 1500?
If the straight stick is correct, what sets the travel of the stick?
Does it simply bottom out on the pan or baffle?
Does it make any difference or should I be obsessing about more
important things (like that strange noise between 2400 and 3100 rpm)?
I realize that I could simply drain the oil, put in the specified
amount and "recalibrate" the wad of tape to that level, but that seems
quite inelegant.
Thanks in advance, Larry.  Melbourne, FL