Re: Winter oil

To: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winter oil
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 09:31:03 -0700
One of my favorite topics. Actually I find the lower radiator hose heater
to be fairly efficient, at least in terms of getting the job done. Maybe
not so good from an energy efficiency standpoint but the convection works
good. It usually only takes an hour or two to make a difference. Also, this
is on the lower radiator hose from the engine block, not the upper where
the thermostat resides. It heats by convection back to the block so the
thermostat is not really a factor.

The freeze plug heater is best if one can be found. Its closer to the area
you want to heat so the heating wattage needed is less like Blake says.

I agree that the dipstick heater is fairly worthless. Another heater I
found to be of little value was the heater hose in line heater. It has to
sit below the radiator water level to work and in theory it is supposed to
circulate the water through the heater line while it heats it. On my Toyota
Landcruiser, it did a great job heating a few feet of heater line and then
it would shut off until the temperature dropped and then repeat the cycle.

The problem with MGs (at least the Bs) is that there are no longer any
listings for engine heaters anymore (that I know of). My lower radiator
hose heater in my BGT was bought about 20 years ago but was dropped from
the listings not long after that even though it was a standard sized
heater, maybe because the fit was so tight. I was never able to locate a
freeze plug heater - the one that came on my 71BGT had been discontinued by
the manufacturer when I tried to replace it (it never worked for me).

Another one of my favorite topics is record cold weather starting
temperatures, unassisted. My original 65B started at 22 below once, but
anything below maybe five below was iffy. My 71BGT's record was 14 below
(temperatures being degrees F).

David Councill
67 BGT