Re: Winter oil

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winter oil
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 18:07:17 -0800
Carl:

I have extensively used 5W-30 in the winter in my Datsun pickup for years and it
does make a difference.   Although the truck's manual says that  5W-30 could be
used for extended long drives or cool temperatures, I would restrict it's use to
short trips and cold weather, below 40 F.

Another option is to have an electric soft plug heater installed.  These are
very nice in that the engine warms up much faster and you get cockpit heat
sooner.  It also makes the starting process alot easier on the engine and
battery.  To save electricity, use a timer on the extension cord to the heater
and have the timer turn the power on about 4 AM.

For starting, I have found that my TD will crank faster if it is started in
nuetral and the foot off the clutch.  That might be true of any MGB with the
carbon throw out bearing.

Blake