Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side

To: racerx23@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 09:12:52 -0500
David,
  If you can get a consensus on any topic, I think that this one will be
it.  Using the hubs on the other side is asking for trouble.  It's not
the burning out acceleration that loosens a hub, it's the braking forces
and the usual road vibrations.
  Brakes are at least 2x and more frequently 3x the strength of the
engine.  A way to think of this is 0-60 takes 1/8 mile and 14 seconds or
so.  60-0 takes about 300 feet and 2 seconds.  This point was emphasised
during the "runaway Audi" phenomenon a few years ago.  Car&Driver took an
Audi and held it at 60mph. Jamming down the brakes and the throttle
fully, the car still took only about 75 feet longer to stop. So, in that
case, the strength of the brakes was engine HP + inertia (M x V2).
Bob