Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side
From: "David Pennington" <racerx23@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:41:04 -0500
Curiosity killed the cat! :-)

Well, thanks to a kind lister it looks like I now have access to the LR hub I
needed, so changing out all four to do an experiment would be kinda crazy, and
the splines will all be good, so messing any of them up isn't high on my list
of to-do's.

I am still curious, however. Maybe I'll fit a worn front hub & wheel "on the
wrong side" and see what happens. I'll let you all know, so if quit posting
you'll know where to send the flowers :-) The wings are also going to be
changed on my car, so if it does spin off (which IMHO it won't) then the
damage should be minor (I have done that part before :-) I have found that the
wheels are very hard to get off if they get spun, so a gear puller may be in
order. (The rear hub on my 71 spun once, under accelleration. Getting it off
was rather difficult, but a gear puller made it doable.) By my calculations a
"wrongly fitted" front wheel / hub will not spin at all unless the spinner is
loose, and then it will "merely" lose braking power on that wheel, not fall
off. It may tighten the spinner considerably, which could make getting it off
a real chore.

Hasn't anyone tried this already?!? Before I proceed, I'd like to hear if any
other listers have had hubs get "spun" and/or wheels go AWOL, and which side
they were on, what actions caused it, etc.

Still looking for a logical explanation,
Dave P
1970 MGB