Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side
From: "David Pennington" <racerx23@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:11:41 -0500
Walt, thanks for the note. I have related my experience, the LF wheel came off
during hard braking. I've spoken to one other person recently who had the same
thing happen, on his LR wheel. I doubt if these are the only two instances. I
KNOW the manufacturers (at least MG) put LH hubs on the RH side and VV, but I
still haven't heard WHY they do this. "Because they all do it" isn't much of
an answer, is it? And what's this about towing a WW equipped car backwards?
This happens all the time. Towing it backwards (on the front wheels) would
only TIGHTEN correctly fitted (stock) hubs if by some chance the splines
failed. Please let me know if there is some mechanical explanation for your
thinking.

I am beginning to wonder if they did it because they always did it, and were
afraid to change it because that would be admitting the old way was flawed,
for reasons I have already explained.

thanks again,

Dave P
70 MGB