Re: Half years, was:1974.5 MGB

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>, <JohnSexson@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Half years, was:1974.5 MGB
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 20:51:18 -0000
Clausager only refers to the 74 1/2 cars as these had major 'enhancements'
part-way through the model year.  A model year could start anything from
August to December the previous year and the convention was introduced in
Sep 68 for the 69 model year.  The 70 model year started in Sep 69 and this
is when the modified rear bumper came in, so this was not a 69 1/2 but a 70.
This was also when the additonal letter in North American chassis numbers
was started to indicate model year - A for 1970 etc.  Cars built near
changeover points could have parts from either 'year' as old parts were used
up and new parts used early when the 'correct' ones ran out.  This was
always acknowledged by the factory and someone once said that no car was
sent out with one of a normally matching pair from one year and one from
another ... 'as far as is known'.

PaulH.