electronic ignition

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: electronic ignition
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 21:01:29 -0700
Is there any value to an electronic ignition besides lower maintenance?

I received quite a few extra parts with the recent 65 MGB purchase. Two
items were a FireBall XR700/XR3000 electronic ignition conversion (for
positive ground) and FireBall performance ignition coil. - both still new
and in the original packaging. I am debating whether I should install these
or sell them.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I've always stuck with the points and
condensor. Sure these fancy electronic ignitions replace these parts and
last longer. But points and condensor only cost something like $3 each and
last at least 10,000 miles so its no big deal to replace them.

Are there any performance gains with these parts or is it just a
maintenance saving thing? Anyone have experience with FireBall parts? What
are they worth should I decide to sell?

David Councill