Re: What should I bring?

To: "James Nazarian Jr" <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>,
Subject: Re: What should I bring?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:10:03 -0500
James Nazarian Jr. wrote:

> In my experience the real trouble spots are the rear spring bolts on the
> shackles and the screws that hold the doors onto the hinges (num 3 or 4
> phillips)

For the junkyard scavengers on the list (and for the chap dismantling a car
in that remote location), one of the most vital tools you'll want to have in
the "field" is a hand held Impact socket kit.  The Craftsman version will
cost you $20 or so.  The idea is that you smack this tool with a rather
hefty hammer, and it'll generate up to 200 ft lbs. of torque, rotating the
head of the bolt or screw at the same time of course.

I have used this tool for the exact purpose of getting the screws that hold
the door onto the hinges off.  Do wear a glove though, or you are likely to
get some blisters on your hand from smacking the tool with the large hammer.

The tool comes with a variety of screw bits, but also accepts 1/2"
sockets... so it can be pretty handy.

And after cutting up a few British cars in my lifetime, I much prefer to use
a reciprocating saw over Oxy-Acetylene... it only takes about half a dozen
blades to carve up a Healey (just teasing, Ed.  Well okay not really, I have
done it).

Kai