Re: LHD to RHD

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LHD to RHD
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:40:47 -0800
First question: why would you want to?

But I don't see why you would need to worry about DOT approval on a car you
already own. They only control new cars and imports.

A lot of people drive righthand-drive cars they have imported from the UK.
There is no law preventing it AFAIK.

I think it would be easier, and cheaper in the long run, to just buy a
UK-spec car and import it, rather than mangle a US-spec car. Not to mention
that you would be seriously compromising its North American resale value...
although you would be increasing its UK-export value. On that subject, your
best place to look for conversion "kits" or components would be a UK-based
supplier. Try the British classic car magazines.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149