Re: gas smell & braided fuel lines?

To: Lieb David B <dbl@vniles.com>
Subject: Re: gas smell & braided fuel lines?
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:11:37 -0600
Hi Gang,
   A number of ideas have surfaced about this and related topics.
As I have just reinstalled the flexible fuel lines on my '70 B-GT,
I thought I would chime in.
   In all the cars that I have restored I use the rubber fuel line
with the braided outer jacket.  Not the metal jacketed stuff,
just good braided fuel line.  You can get it at any good import
parts house.  It is stock material on 308 series Ferraris as well
as a number of BMWs and Mercedes.  It's not cheap but you
also probably don't need too much of it.  Figure $5 max.
   To make a really terrific looking installation, use new hose
and cut the ends clean and straight across.  I use a big pair of
sharp tin snips.  Once the hose is verified the right length, hold
the ends momentarily over an open flame.  This will melt the
nylon (or whatever) braid threads making a very neat end that
will not fray.  Install the fuel line with new, correct size hose
clamps and do not over tighten the clamps.  The results are
stunningly attractive -- uh, in a way only a motorhead could love.
   Obviously the same techniques will work for the plumbing
around the tank and fuel pump.  Just remember what you're
doing, what you're working with and keep those open flames
well away from your work area.

Best,

Rick Lindsay