Re: gas smell & braided fuel lines?

To: Joe Short <buster_balz@operamail.com>
Subject: Re: gas smell & braided fuel lines?
From: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:32:33 -0700
One potential shortfall that I have been warned of with braded steel is that
dirt and dust can get in between the hose and the steel braid and chafe (?) the
rubber hose to the point of failure.  It has been suggested, therefore, that
those using braided steel lines on street cars put some sort of protective
sheath, (such as a thin piece of tubing) over the line to keep the dirt out.
There is little dispute as to the lines being stronger and less prone to
stretching (in brakes/clutch apps), but in daily use and without the inspection
intervals that the lines get in race cars the dirt problem can lead to shorter
life than a non-braided line.  And therefore a more surprising failure, as they
can fail much sooner than you might expect.  I don't have any personal
experience along these lines (no pun intended) but I have been warned of this.
YMMV and all other appropriate legalese.
--
James Nazarian Jr
71 MGB roadster

A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
   evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.
On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 03:58:06PM -0500, Joe Short profoundly declared: