Alternator

To: "'MG Mail list'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Alternator
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:21:24 -0000
Hi all,

I think my alternator may be on the way out. She is putting out 13V at the
Alternator at 1000rpm, the belt is pretty tight, about 3/4" deflection along
the longest stretch but I get a very dull glow from the ignition light -
seems to come and go. I can't get the belt any tighter as she is at the end
of her adjustment. Brackets and belt are correct per books and my mechanic
says she is way tight enough - I'm not so sure as I get a 'belt' sound (if u
know what I mean! <VBG>) from under the bonnet around 1500rpm.

So, how do I test the alternator, and what can I do to repair it if necc.,
or is it a case of renewal?

Cheers,
Neil