Re: Exhaust system

To: "Marcel Poirier" <poirierm@gamma.aei.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust system
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 18:45:40 -0600
Hi Marcel,

As others have pointed out, it depends on what you want to do with the car.
Remember that the exhaust is only part of the complete system. Doubtful
you'll feel a "big" difference just bolting the Peco on without working on
the carbs, heads, cam etc. Peter Burgess wrote an extremely thorough book on
power tuning the MGB called ,"How to Power Tune MGB 4-Cylinder Engines for
Road and Track" (ISBN 1-874105-61-8), and claims just bolting on a PECO
provided a 5 hp gain at mid-range and produced a mellow exhaust note. Highly
recommended if you wish to extract hp from your B. I'd still get them even
if you're not doing all the mods, heard nothing but good about them
including that they produce a pleasant exhaust note. I've got a system
sitting in the box waiting to be installed as soon as my flu and the weather
cooperate.

>From the picture, it appears that the VB exhaust is the PECO.

Proper MG (1-800-711-3368, www.propermg.com) just had the complete PECO
system (header, pipes, muffler, clamps and brackets) on sale for $299.95.
Sale ended on 1/31 but you might be able to coerce them into giving it to
you at that price. Just got mine there and was the cheapest I could find.

Regarding K&N, Burgess covers this quite nicely as well. I've heard pluses
and minuses on the K&N's. Check the archives for more info. I'm going for
the nifty filter kit with the alloy MGB logo end plate (MOSS #222-910, page
7 latest MOSS). Tried to find them thru local K&N distributors, but they
claim they are only available from K&N UK. I have lister Jeff Zorn
(www.lbarco.com), who is in UK as we speak, seeing if he can hunt some down
over there a bit cheaper. I'll let you know, if your interested. Might want
to check Jeff's site for the PECO as well.

Jeff
'70B

usual disclaimers apply...