Re: Mallory Experts? Help!!

To: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Subject: Re: Mallory Experts? Help!!
From: Brent Schwartz <bschwar@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:43:04 -0600
Neil

I have had more than one experience with incorrect coil  and the symptems
sound similer to what you are describing.  I can't guarantee this to be the
solution but It has cured a couple of my cars.  P.S. even the "experts"
told me the wrong coil/resistor combination until I tried it myself and
proved them wrong.

All coils are 6 Volt coils inside.  They either have an internal balast
resisitor (12 Volt) or an external balast resistor (6 Volt)  if you take
a 12 Volt coil and add a ballast resistor then you are only running
the coil on 3 volts inside and it will not properly energize no matter
how much dwell you set.

Fortunately this is easy to test.  Try a jumper across the ballast resistor
esentially taking it out of the circuit and if it runs correctly then you
know your problem.