Re: Mallory Experts? Help!!

To: "Brent Schwartz" <bschwar@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: Mallory Experts? Help!!
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 14:06:44 -0000
Brent/Paul/et all,

Many thanks for the all the superb advice. It seems I have a Lucas Sport
Coil which is 12V. The Factory V8 is supposed to have a 6V and hence there
is a piece of resistive wire feeding the coil which drops the voltage.

So for a start, my 12V coil was only receiving 7.7 volts or so! Secondly,
these people who did the Mallory must have thought I had a 6V coil with no
ballast resistor whatsoever, so they installed one. Now that would mean I
would have two resistors in the line where I need none!!! So I guess the
coil would only have been seeing around 3.5V or so! Many thanks for
everyones help identifying the issue.

Paul Hunt helped me spot the other fault as he has a Factory V8 and knew
about the resistive wire in the loom.  When I switched the new external
resistor out of the loop, the misfire virtually disappeared. :) I will now
rewire around the resistive wire in the loom and come straight off the fuse
box so my coil gets the full 12V it's looking for. Hopefully that will make
another improvement.

It also seems the Mallory's internal advance is set too low, so I will have
to reset it internally (max advance is adjustable) to give the max 28 deg
centrifugal. I don't know what it's set at right now but I think the company
sets them low internally as they usually go into cars with much higher
GCR's.

Many thanks to you Brent, Paul Hunt (as usual the resident List electrical
genius!! <G>) & all the others that responded with help. This list is
wonderful! Don't know where I'd be without it. :)

Cheers,
Neil.