Re: More cooling problems etc

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More cooling problems etc
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:10:25 -0800
on 2/19/01 8:48 AM, scott beavis at sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com wrote:

>> Our 78BGT has been behaving quite well over the past few months. Not many
>> problems. Nothing major. The indicators seem to flash quite fast
>> sometimes. All bulbs are ok. Any ideas?

Trace the grounds for the lamp circuits and make sure you have good contact
all the way.

>>Also the overdrive is still taking
>> a while to come on. I need to check the gearbox oil, overdrive oil, and
>> also the diff oil. I will read haynes up about where and how exactly to
>> fill these. The diff has a sqaure nut thing on it. I assume I just pull
>> that and whack in some 80W gear oil or something. As for the gearbox and
>> OD I can't even see a filler cap. Someone mentioned about a flap to lift
>> in the floor but our car doesn't seem to have one. There is a bit of a
>> knock from the back end when the power is applied and removed. Almost
>> sounds like play in the diff teeth.

The 78 doesn't have an access hole to the tranny filler. You have to go
under the car and fill it through a plug in the right side of the tranny
case, using either an oil pump or a long rubber hose leading up through the
engine compartment. Lawrie recommends 30wt racing oil for the OD tranny.
When you're changing the oil make sure you open both drain plugs -- the OD
unit has its own drain, although you use the same filler for both.

The diff has a drain plug straight in the bottom and a filler plug (as you
noted). It takes regular 85/90wt gear oil.

>> The brakes don't seem to be very good at the moment. I am sure the vacuum
>> servo isn't working. I can lock the wheels, but the brakes just don't seem
>> to grab on. The pedal needs to be pressed pretty hard to stop.

"I know nothink" about brake servos, I'm afraid...

>> Since I changed the head gasket a couple of months back, it doesn't seem
>> to be using so much water. The system needs to be topped up about every 3
>> weeks instead of every 3 days. No sign of any leaks anywhere.

This still seems to be too much water loss. Your idea of an expansion bottle
(below) would help quantify it. But the gray oil really makes it look like a
water leak in the block or head. It may not be the gasket -- did you have
the head checked for cracks?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149