Re: Digital cameras (no LBC)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Digital cameras (no LBC)
From: Lieb David B <dbl@vniles.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:26:17 -0600
>>> Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com> 02/21/01 10:49AM >>>
All digital cameras are a tradeoff, until you get to pro models, which run
several thousand dollars.

The key points of a digital camera are, in no particular order:

1) Size and portability
2) Ruggedness
3) Image Quality (How many Megapixel)
4) Optics Quality (Good lens, usable zoom)
5) Media and Capacity
6) Ease of Picture transfer.
7) Battery Life.

Nobody that I know of makes a small indestructable 6 Megapixel camera with
a 6x quality optical zoom that has incredible battery life and can store
thousands of pictures and transfer on the fly.

So you have to look at those seven and pick what's most important to you,
keeping in mind what you intend to use the camera for.
 (I'm ignoring anomalies like the Mavica floppy based system).

Well, here at work we get many requests for digital cameras on a loan basis.
For us, that means that the anomalous Mavica made a great solution. Having a
good camera with a lot of zoom (we have FD91, FD95 and CDR1000 models now) is
nice; being able to hand them a few floppies and not have to worry about
whether their PC has USB, or needs a driver loaded, or needs some funky cable
is wonderful!!!  Yes, they are bulky. It can be a benefit to the extent that
they see it more as a tool to be borrowed than one to be purloined. They are
also nice to take home and grab some LBC pictures. Now if I would get around to
setting up a web page ...

David Lieb
1974 MGB
1973 Midget