RE: Wiring basics

To: "MG list (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wiring basics
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 10:58:34 -0800
Hi neil,

when done right crimp-on connectors should be good and solid. Crimp on
connectors are a pro solution to the problem of having to join wires back
together and making sure that they are safe, insulated, and not going to
fray apart.

Crimping 101:

1. make sure that teh size of the connector is correct for the guage of wire
you are using. Thin wire needs smaller connectors.

2. The strenght of the connection depends on the crimp getting a good grip
on the wire. The problem is that metal doesn't grip metal that well, and
when you crimp things down hard enough (or screw them down hard enough in a
screw-in connector) you often end up breaking many of the strands in the
wire and risking a stress-fault. SO what you should always do when making
any kind of electrical connection is the following. a) strip the wire with a
good stripping tool, ensuring that all of the strands of the wire survive
the encounter (if strands break the max current that can be carried is
lower). b) twist the strands together (like the strands of fibre in a rope).
c) now for the cunning bit. fold the wire back 180 degrees over the
insulator. Make the fold right at the point where the copper wire is first
exposed. d) now crimp that! You should find the the wire is easier to get
into the connector cos it's been folded over, and more importantly, you get
a much more secure hold on the wire because the crimp is digging into the
insulator. also because the insulator is taking the mechanical strain you
don't risk fraying or breaking the wire.

hope that helps

cheers

Joe

Dr. Joseph Garner