Re: Ground Clearance

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ground Clearance
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 01:08:57 +0610
Max Heim wrote:

> Yeah, I have plain old 175R14s on wires on my B, and I don't see how
> anyone gets away with 60-series tires... not much ground clearance
> to play with. I  was wondering if anyone is running 15-inch MGC
> wires with a low-profile tire? What size seems to work?

I have 185/60R14 on my CBB, but only because these were the widest I
could cram onto my wire wheels - now that I have steel wheels (Rostyles)
I want to go to 195 (well, OK, I *want* to go to 205 Potenzas, but for
now...).

I find I had plenty of ground clearance before I removed the front
bumber and put the spoiler on, now I have just learned to THINK a little
bit more about how and where I drive.  If I am going into a driveway
that has a slight upward slope, I learn to slow down a little to stop
the front suspension from compressing that extra inch.

Within the first three weeks of putting that spoiler on I had broken it
TWICE!

Since then, apart from the odd slight scrape, all has been fine.

the 60 profile really stopped that sidewwall slop when cornering fast.

If you want to see me cornering on my taller tyres.... check out the
sidewall flex at:

http://www.erickson.on.net/mgb/mallala/nov6_99.html

... and I had plenty of ground clearance back then!  What a difference a
year makes - you would hardly recognise the car now!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia