RE: Engine work question

To: "Matthew Trebelhorn" <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine work question
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:52:16 -0700
>If I want to change the cam, do I need to pull the oil pump and distributor?

No, just the distributor and the oil pump drive which is accessible from the
top end.

To remove the oil pump drive use a 5/16" fine thread bolt.  You'll need about a
6" or 7" bolt, thread a nut and a lock nut up the
bolt about 1/2".  After removing the distributor screw in the 5/16" bolt after
it is snug in the oil pump drive, twist it counter
clockwise while lifting.  Leave the bolt on the drive.

When re-installing make sure the #1 cylinder is in the TDC location on the
compression stroke.  Slide the oil pump drive down the
distributor hole and rotate clockwise at the same time.  Slide in the
distributor and notice where the rotor is pointing.  It should
point toward the #1 cylinder.  If it doesn't, remove the distributor and drive
and re-insert the drive in a new location.  Do this
until the rotor points to the #1 cylinder.

Good Luck.

Larry Hoy

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list