RE: Engine work question

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>,
Subject: RE: Engine work question
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:09:44 -0600
At 10:52 AM 3/19/2001 -0700, Larry Hoy wrote:
>>If I want to change the cam, do I need to pull the oil pump and distributor?
>
>No, just the distributor and the oil pump drive which is accessible from
the top end.

>To remove the oil pump drive use a 5/16" fine thread bolt.  ....

Aw, shucks.  I don't want to flame Larry, because his advise is correct,
and you can remove the cam without removing the pan or oil pump.  BTDT.
Just that the distributor drive gear does not drive the oil pump for the MG
B-series engines.  The oil pump has a separate drive gear that that is
driven from the same gear on the camshaft.

And for another bit of speculation, I suspect that the cam could be removed
without removing the dizzy drive gear either, but I can't imagine why one
would do that, because the dizzy timing location would be lost anyway.  Of
course gear position doesn't matter with the oil pump.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///