Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB
From: BPearce2001@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:55:05 EST
Hey List,

I've been off the list for almost a year and have been lurking for the last
couple of months.  Most of the familiar names are still here... hi all...

Now for the BIG question... Last year while driving I noticed that the MGB
was getting harder to shift.  This continued until I was unable to shift at
all.  My ex boyfriend had put DOT 3 brake fluid in the brakes and clutch
master cylinders.  Believing this to be the cause of the problem, I replaced
both mc's along with the clutch slave cylinder.  Let me also interject at
this point that when the car is in neutral there is a growling sound.

After replacing the cylinders, I am still having a problem shifting.  And the
growling sound is now louder than it was last year.

Also when I first start the car I can shift it into first, reverse or any
other gear.  But once I put the car into neutral and let out the clutch it
will no longer shift into any gear.  I have to turn off the car and restart
it.

Does anyone have an idea where the problem is?  Gearbox? Clutch?  Several
friends have suggested it might be a bearing, but no one seems to know which
one...   I would rather not fix this problem by replacing things until I
"accidently" replace the right thing...

My frustration is not even knowing where to start...

TIA

Becky

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list